The early failure for Kitec plumbing has sparked a cross-border class-action lawsuit and it is no longer safe to be used! Kitech was originally marketed as a corrosion-resistant alternative to copper pipes and fittings, but was recalled around 2005 due to a tendency to corrode at an accelerated rate. It is no longer manufactured.
Industry professionals have proven that Kitec may deteriorate or even FAIL due to excessive water pressure or water running at temperatures hotter than the manufacturer’s rating of 77C (180F). Leading homes and condos to ultimately experience premature pipe failure resulting in disastrous flooding and expensive damage!
Insurance companies are now getting more serious about the issue and have been known to demand homeowners change the Kitec to receive insurance or refusing to write insurance policies on homes that are known to have Kitec installed. If you plan on buying or selling a home, make it part of your pre-inspection to have a licenced plumber check out if you have any Kitec plumbing.
What makes Wirsbo PEX a superior product?
Wirsbo PEX is made from a very flexible yet durable plastic material called crosslinked polyethylene tubing or PEX. It is a clean, non-toxic and extremely durable piping product.
The most notable benefits are:
- Flexible for fewer fittings, reduced leak-point liability
- Resists corrosion, pitting and scaling
- Retains more heat in hot-water lines
- Resists condensation on cold-water lines
- Expands up to 3X its diameter to help resist freeze damage
- Connections do not require the use of dangerous chemicals or solvents
- Offers a complete lead-free system from inlet to faucet
- NSF International certification for water purity
- Backed by a 25-year limited warranty on PEX tubing and ProPEX fittings